Sunday, August 6, 2017

Part XIII - Kumealon Cove to Bishop Bay


July 26-27, Lowe Inlet

A fairly uneventful trip from Kumealon Cove to Lowe Inlet.  While I had not planned on anchoring in the outfall of Verney Falls again, Cash talked me into anchoring there.  I guess I’m getting more comfortable with anchoring in a current and was comfortable for our entire stay there. 

Soon after anchoring Cash launched the dinghy and the two of us went out salmon fishing.  I managed to catch two Sockeye on a buzz bomb.  Meanwhile, back at Hobbit, Linda was frantic because she saw a bear fishing in the falls which both Cash and I missed even when we stopped fishing long enough to go past the no-fishing line to explore and look for salmon. 

Our view from Hobbit of Verney Falls


Me and and my 2 sockeye
Black bear fishing for Sockeye in Verney Falls


Our full day there was soured by a couple who deemed themselves some type of watchdogs of what’s right in the world. On our first day at Lowe they jumped on some First Nations fishermen who were legitimately using a gill net near the falls.  On our second day, they came after us because we used a net to land a salmon caught on a rod and reel stating that this was illegal.  They videotaped our brief conversation which really upset me.  On the good side, Cash caught two Sockeye and I caught one.  All three of us spent some time near the falls watching a black bear try to catch fish and fish trying to jump the falls.  I am amazed that any fish manage to make it up the falls.

Cash and me fishing for Sockeye

Cash and me with our Sockeye

Sockeye trying to jump Verney Falls falls

July 28, Bishop Bay

Departing Lowe Inlet the next morning was a challenge.  During the middle of the night a gill netter came in and anchored almost in front of us with the stern of his vessel no more than 50 feet from Hobbit.  It was impossible to pick up our anchor and 200 feet of chain without first waking the fisherman (who really looked like he was drunk) and asking him to jockey his boat out of our way.

Wayward gill netter

Once the anchor was retrieved, it was a gorgeous day all the way from Lowe Inlet to Bishop Bay; sunny and almost no wind.  In spite of our packed full freezer situation, I spotted several boats trolling at Money Point (on the south end of Hawkesbury Island right where Douglas Channel and Verney Passage meet) and suggested we try trolling for a little while.  Almost immediately we had 2 Coho on the line which resulted in frantic efforts from both Cash and me as well as Linda to get both downriggers up and grab the net. 

Today I broke the sad news to Cash that it was time we started alternating who gets to catch the fish; the next fish was Cash’s and he got a small Chinook.  For my turn I got a pink.  Given our freezer situation and the ease with which we were catching salmon, we needed more pinks like we needed a hole in the head so I released it.  As we watched the fish recovering in the water an eagle began circling.  It made 2 passes during which time I was able to grab my camera and, when it finally pick up the salmon, I got a nice series of photographs.  Unfortunately, I had to keep changing the zoom as the eagle came in and wasn’t totally on target when it actually grabbed the fish.  The 4-5 pound Pink proved too heavy for the eagle, and it was dragged across the water to the shore.






Eagle picking up a 4-5 pound pink salmon

Cash caught a Coho as his next fish, then I got another pink which was released.  The final fish was Cash’s and it was a Coho.  Where’s the justice?

Why do I usually have just 1 fish?

Coming into Bishop Bay we paused for 15 minutes or so to watch a cow and calf humpback whale.  We then managed to catch a buoy just before a bunch of boats came in to fill up the remaining two as well as the dock.  Getting into the hot springs for a soak was wonderful!! 

We never tire of seeing a whale start a deep dive

Ahhh

Toasting the last of the ice from Reid glacier with coke.
(Mine might have some rum).

After getting back from the hot springs we pulled out the last of the glacial ice from Reid Inlet to make room for salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment